Nature and Recreation
The city of Luxembourg covers a total surface area of 5,173 hectares comprising 1/4 green spaces. From 1871 to 1878, French landscape architect Edouard André created a generous park gracing the fortress remains, which to this day still envelops the essential part of the centre, interrupted only by the traversing avenues.
In 1906, André’s son, who took over the family business, completed the park’s development in the Pétrusse, the idyllic green valley separating the city centre from the railway station district.
Further “green oases” are the convent grounds of the Pfaffenthal hospice as well as the gardens along the Alzette in the vicinity of the abbey Neumünster. In the microclimate at the foot of the Bock, vegetables, medicinal herbs and even grapevines grow. The banks of the Alzette and the Pétrusse are also home to privately cultivated allotment gardens and ecologically managed plots. In Limpertsberg one can trace the steps of the rose growers, whose products were once exported to flower lovers throughout the entire world. Luxembourg’s splendid roses even found their way to the Chinese court.
The large forested areas of the “Bambësch”, “Gréngewald” and “Kockelscheuer” are found around
the periphery of the city, while in the Alzette valley, between Grund and Hesperange, the work history of the former textile barons can be explored on foot or by bicycle.