Cathedral of the Blessed Virgin in Luxembourg City

About

The Cathedral of the Blessed Virgin was originally a Jesuit church, the foundation stone of which was laid in 1613.

It is a remarkable instance of late Gothic style, revealing various components and ornaments inspired by Renaissance style.

At the end of the 18th century it adopted the picture of the Lady Comforter of the Afflicted, who had the power to work miracles, and who is the patron saint of the city and the country.

50 years later it was consecrated Saint Mary's church and in 1870 Pope Pius IX dedicated the Cathedral of the Blessed Virgin.

Between 1935 and 1938 it was enlarged.

Useful information

Address

Cathedral of the Blessed Virgin in Luxembourg City
Boulevard Roosevelt | rue Notre-Dame
L-2450 Luxembourg

T. +352 46 20 23
F. +352 47 53 81
E. archeveche@cathol.lu
S.